Welcome to my outlet! It's a little bit of everything: my kids, my life, cooking, working out, just about anything you can imagine! If you don't already follow me, please follow my blog and stay up to date on all the craziness that is my life!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Cultured

My big kids holding the "playbill" to the High School production of the musical, Annie

A few hours after the most traumatic experience of my life, I packed up my big kids and headed to one of the local high schools to watch a musical. 

The kids were putting on the production, Annie, and neither of my kids had see or even heard of Annie. And neither of them knew what a "play" was, so they were in for a real treat.

We arrived at the auditorium a few minutes before curtain call and the area was buzzing with excitement. There were tons of people outside buying flowers for their favorite actors and concessions for their little ones. 

My kids were so excited to get their tickets, but as we walked inside, they took the tickets from everyone. 

We sat in the seats staring at the big red curtain. Above our heads perched high on the cat walk was a teenage boy in charge of the lighting. A pianist sat in the corner on a keyboard playing the music for the show.
When the lights got dark, my kids faces lit with excitement. The didn't know what to expect.

The acting was fantastic. If lines were missed, the audience had no clue. The stage was amazing. The props were perfect. It was hard to believe it was a high school musical. 

About half way through the first act, a little girl sitting in the same row as us puked...that's right...puked all over the place. Her parents rushed her out the door, but not fast enough. She puked again before even exiting the auditorium.

That didn't matter to my kids. Their eyes were glued to the stage. They thought they were watching some sort of magical TV. 

When the show ended, 2 and a half hours later, my kids did a standing ovation for the cast during the curtain call. They just couldn't get enough. 
And I'm glad I took them. It's a night I will never forget.

Have you ever taken young kids to a musical/play/or any other "cultural event?" I'd love to hear your stories!

Sometimes my Princess is the hardest person to photograph!

1 comment:

  1. I must have missed this post last month, just reading it today. Cute pic of the kids, so glad they enjoyed the live performance. Annie is one of my favorites. I love the music in it. I am glad there was a happy ending to an otherwise stressful day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...