Welcome to my outlet! It's a little bit of everything: my kids, my life, cooking, working out, just about anything you can imagine! If you don't already follow me, please follow my blog and stay up to date on all the craziness that is my life!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Teach them while they're young...




In our family we believe in everyone helping and pitching in around the house. From washing dishes to putting away laundry, our kids learn from a young age that they need to pull their weight around the house. My older two kids clear the table off before dinner starts and then they also set the dinner dishes on. They also put their own underwear away, help sort the laundry and also help me clean the bathrooms. It is very important to me that they learn these things, and understand what is required of them.

Oswald was taught by his mom the importance of a clean home and one of his favorite things is the vacuum. He is my go-to man when it comes to cleaning the floors in my house. All of my kids have taken their turn with wanting to push the vacuum around the house, and now it's my little man's turn. He grunts and whines until he gets to push the vacuum. He's not really picking much up off the floor, but he is learning the importance and he's having fun while doing it, and that is super important to me!

Every time I see this picture, I can't help but think of a verse in the bible,

Proverbs 22:6

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

I know this is in reference to teaching them the world of God, but I also like to think of it in relation to any kind of teaching. My kids college roommates will love them. Mission companions will love them. Their future spouse with love them. Because, really, what is better than someone who can help you clean up? Someone who can pitch in on the "not so fun" jobs around the house?

So I would challenge all you mom's out there who read my blog. No matter how old or young your kids, let them help you clean. You may end up re-cleaning what they "cleaned", but they've helped and they've learned something in the process. Plus, that's some good quality family time...cleaning!

So, how do you get your kids to help around the house? Do they enjoy doing the dishes or dusting?

1 comment:

  1. Cute picture of Max! I think teaching children to appreciate a clean home and the satifaction of a job well done is the motivation to get them to clean. Thank them, encourage them, compliment and appreciate all their efforts goes a long way in their self motivation. But it does take time, years, in fact to get them to self motivation. So hang in there! Stay the course, you will be happy you did. Love to all, Beesha XOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...