Welcome to my outlet! It's a little bit of everything: my kids, my life, cooking, working out, just about anything you can imagine! If you don't already follow me, please follow my blog and stay up to date on all the craziness that is my life!

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Oswald's first trip to Arizona

 Oswald and his sisters, Jen (left) and Suzie (right), outside the Orlando Temple June 2003

I had not been back to Arizona since I moved to Florida in October of 2002, so in my mind it was time to go. I wanted to take Oswald, but was not sure what his thoughts/reaction might be if I ask him to spend $300 to fly 6 hours to meet my family. 

“Hey Oswald, how do you feel about going to Arizona with me this Easter?” I asked kind of joking, but also really afraid of what he would respond.

“Of course I will go with you. I’d love to meet your family” was his calm, cool response. All of my worries were in vain. He wanted to go to Arizona with me. He wanted to meet my family! Life couldn’t get any better!


A couple of days later, I called my parents to tell them that we had bought our tickets to fly out there. My mom was so excited to see me and finally meet Oswald. My dad, on the other hand, had one big question.

“Is he coming out here to ask you to marry him?”

“I don’t think so, Dad. I just want him to meet you and to get to know my family. He hasn’t said anything to me about asking me to marry him.”

“Oh, ok.” My dad not being a man of many words, said goodbye and that was it.

I hung up the phone thinking that maybe Oswald would ask me to marry him. But I knew nothing of the ring (that he had already bought) and I knew he wanted a ring to give me when he proposed. So I kind of just pushed it out of my mind.


The night before Oswald and I traveled to Arizona for Easter, I spent the night at his parents’ house. His mom asked me what was in my suitcase, clothes wise. I replied, “Jeans and t-shirts.”

“See, Oswald, you’re going to be too dressy. You should just take jeans and t-shirts.”
 
“Mom, I am taking jeans and I like Polo shirts, so that’s what I’m taking. It’s not bad is it Jennie?”

“No, I just prefer jeans and t-shirts. My dad only wears polo shirts” with that he zipped up his suitcase.

We had an early flight the next morning, so we went to bed kind of early. Only I didn’t sleep. I had quite the interesting conversation with my future sister-in-law.

Jen was a junior in High School. I slept in her bed while she slept on the floor. We talked about everything. We talked about her schooling. We talked about boys. We talked specifically about her brother.

“So, do you think you’re going to marry my brother?” She asked without any hesitation. 

“I sure hope so. I have never felt this way before.”

“So if he proposed, would you say yes?”

“Of course, but I’m not sure when or if that will happen.”

“You know he has the ring, don’t you?”

No. I. Didn’t. I had no idea he had already bought, sized and paid for the ring. I had no idea he had the proposal all planned out. And I had no idea when to expect it.

Coming up…how he had me convinced that he did not have the ring and how he totally surprised me when he “popped the question”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...