Welcome to my outlet! It's a little bit of everything: my kids, my life, cooking, working out, just about anything you can imagine! If you don't already follow me, please follow my blog and stay up to date on all the craziness that is my life!

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Goal Accomplished

(I have been trying for the last month to write this...things get in the way...but here it is! Finally)

8 months ago, I gave birth to a beautiful little girl!

8 months ago I could not run around my backyard, let along around the block.

6 months ago, I set a goal for myself. I wanted to drop this baby weight and run a 5k.

I have seen so many bloggers do that very thing and thought, "if she can do it, I can!"

I have never loved running. I would rather get my exercise in other ways, DVD's, playing volleyball, just any number of ways, other than running. But I had set my goal and I was determined!


This is what I looked like 1.5 weeks post baby!

 Sure, I look "good". I'm put together, my hair is done, and my make-up is on...but my body was in terrible shape. I am one lucky girl to have 4 healthy, beautiful children who love me. But these 4 beautiful, healthy children have done a number on my body.

I am not one of those lucky pregnant ladies who only gains weight in her belly, I gain it everywhere. I am not one of those lucky women who looks like she never had a baby when she leaves the hospital.

I have posted several times about my weight-loss ups and downs. But today, I want to post about the goal I accomplished.

I ran a 6K on Thanksgiving day! It was the most proud of myself I have been in a long time!!


I was nervous. We were in Florida for Thanksgiving, and Oswald was in meetings, so one day I called my mom on the phone and she said, "go for it!" I didn't really need to run a race to know that I could run the distance. I had been running 4+ miles for weeks, but I had set a goal to run a 5K and I wanted to do it. 

I wanted my kids to know that when you set a goal, you need to follow through. I wanted them to know that if you put your mind to it and work hard for something, you can achieve everything you put your mind to. Plus, it was something I really wanted to do! It was a goal I really wanted to achieve!

Just 7 months after having a baby I stood in a huge crowd of people, all waiting for the sound of the starting gun!



I was completely shocked at the sheer number of people who were there. There were people of all shapes and sizes. People pushing jogging strollers, people pushing DOUBLE jogging strollers and people who were bigger and smaller than me! We were all there for our own reasons!

The gun went off and we all started to move. It was slow going at first, but once I crossed the start line we were off. The first song on my playlist was "That's what makes you beautiful". Still to this day every time I hear that song, I think of my race. I get that same adrenaline rush and that same thrill of emotion comes over me every time that song plays. 

I started running and about 1/2 way into the race, I get a text. I have this fear that one of the kids, Oswald had 3 of the 4 at the finish line, is throwing a fit or misbehaving and he's texting me to tell me.

But I was wrong, the text I get said, "Go, Mommy, Go!" I totally teared up.



Then I ran past this man wearing a "Wounded Warriors" shirt. Then I noticed his leg...what an inspiration. I cried when I saw him. 

The whole time I was running I kept thinking to myself, "I can't believe I am actually doing this. I can't believe I am actually accomplishing this goal."

I got another text from Oswald right as I was about to cross the finish line, once again it said, "Go, Mommy, Go." Once again, it made my cry.



I crossed the finish line with my Princess trailing behind me. She ran into the race when she saw me.
I stopped my music and my app that tracks my mileage. I look up and see Oswald pushing the stroller towards me. I start to tear up again. 



He put his arms around me to tell me how proud of me he was and all I can say is, "I can't believe I just did that. I ran the entire time! I never stopped! I RAN A RACE!!!"


We grabbed a few things to munch on when the race was over, and we took off. I finally looked at my mileage and this is what I saw...

 I ran just under 4 miles, in a little over 36 minutes. I averaged a 10 minute mile! Amazing! I had never done that before and I can honestly say I have not done that since. It was amazing!

It was exhilarating.

It was a feeling of accomplishment.

It was thrilling!

It was something I hope to do again, one day soon!

3 comments:

  1. Girl you totally rock! You are amazing! So proud and happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! Seriously, I got all emotional reading this! You are incredible!!! And I know you will accomplish whatever you set out to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so proud of you! i cried while reading it too. and i have to tell you that you look GREAT in your christmas card, so all your hard work and discipline is paying off! what a great feeling! and you are inspiring others too, not just your kids. you are blessing so many lives. thanks for your example.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...